Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Project On Government Oversight (POGO), founded in 1981, is an independent non-profit organization in the United States which investigates and seeks to expose corruption and other misconduct. POGO assists whistleblowers and investigates federal agencies, Congress, and government contractors. According to their about page they are “a nonpartisan independent watchdog that investigates and exposes waste, corruption, abuse of power, and when the government fails to serve the public or silences those who report wrongdoing.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Project on Government Ownership is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded through donations and offers transparency.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Project on Government Oversight investigates corruption and misconduct by the government. The website publishes stories that are both original and republished from other sources. Articles and headlines often contain moderately loaded emotional language that slightly favors the left such as this We Can’t “Look Forward” on the Trump Administration’s Abuses. Editorially, POGO does not have much support for Donald Trump such as this Will Bill Barr Place His Thumb on the Scale to Tip the Election to Trump? In general, the information provided on this site is factual and holds a left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. In fact, they are used by IFCN fact-checkers as a credible resource.
Overall, we rate the Project on Government Oversight Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 12/8/2016) Updated (12/11/2020)
Last Updated on December 11, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds