These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate North99 Left Biased for story selection that always favors the left and Mixed for reporting due to a few failed fact checks and misleading context of article headlines.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180
According to their about page “North99 is a progressive media network for the many, not the few. Our contributors and supporters include progressive people across Canada united by a concern about rising inequality and the increasing influence of the far-right.” A whois search reveals the domain was purchased in August of 2017.
Funded by / Ownership
North99 is a non-profit funded through individual donations. The website claims they do not accept donations from corporations, but rather only from individual donors. The website does not list who owns North99, however, the non-profit registration lists Geoff Sharpe as the Director.
Analysis / Bias
North99 is a combination between a media source and an activist portal. The news reported always favors the left and uses loaded language such as this: Voter Fraud, Illegal Fundraising, Racism – A Timeline of Every Doug Ford Ontario Election Controversy. Essentially, the sole purpose of the website is to discredit right-wing politicians and policy in Canada. News articles are reasonably sourced to mainstream media outlets.
A factual search reveals that North99 has failed a few fact checks. However, they corrected some errors when discovered. Further, on 7/23/2019, the CBC published an article demonstrating North99 using misleading online petitions, and again on 12/5/2019, they published another false claim resulting in a downgrade to Mixed factual.
Overall, we rate North99 Left Biased for story selection that always favors the left and Mixed for reporting due to a few failed fact checks and misleading context of article headlines. (D. Van Zandt 6/10/2018) Updated (12/06/2019)
Last Updated on July 2, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am