- Overall, we rate Mehr News Agency Questionable based on the use of poor sources and the promotion of state propaganda as well as anti-west conspiracy theories.
Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, State Propaganda, Conspiracy
World Press Freedom Rank: Iran 170/180
Launched in 2003, Mehr News Agency is an Iranian news agency based in Tehran-Iran. Mehr News Agency and the Russian Sputnik news agency have signed a cooperation agreement in 2018 to share news and analysis products. Mehr News Agency wires its news in the 6 languages of Persian, English, Arabic, Turkish, Urdu, and German. They provide domestic, political, culture and art, world news and also includes commentary, national politics, and opinions.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
Reporters Without Borders has reported Iran as “One of the most oppressive countries” According to a Reporters Without Borders 2019 report, Iran ranks 170 out of 180 countries in the World Press Freedom Index.
According to their about page “International daily newspaper, Tehran Times with more than three decades of its publication is affiliated with MNA.” The Tehran Times is known as a Pro-Government media outlet. The President of Iran, Hassan Rouhani has moved to the left, placing himself with the reformists during the elections, but he is still the leader of the Moderation and Development Party, which is classified as “moderate reformists” “modernist right” or “Republican Right.”
In review, the content of headlines and articles uses loaded words pertaining to national news such as “US ‘failed global leader’ after USSR collapse” and “Jewish MP says Iranian Jews ready, united to defend Iran.” Further, they poorly source their articles by either heavily quoting or utilizing factually mixed right biased Iranian sources such as Tasnim, Tehran Times, and Russian propaganda news media company Sputnik News.
In general, Mehr is a right-leaning pro-Government propaganda outlet that is not always factual.
Overall, we rate Mehr News Agency Questionable based on the use of poor sources and the promotion of state propaganda as well as anti-west conspiracy theories. (M. Huitsing 5/30/2018) Updated (01/08/2020)
Last Updated on June 14, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am