These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Libertarianism.org Right-Center biased based on free-market economic philosophy and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1996, Libertarianism.org is the Cato Institute’s treasury of resources about the theory and history of liberty. According to their about page they “offer a wealth of original essays and classic reprints by great classical liberals and libertarians as well as articles from modern-day thinkers, book reviews, four podcasts, a libertarian encyclopedia, videos, online introductory courses, and books on a variety of topics within the libertarian tradition.” The current director and editor are Aaron Ross Powell.
Funded by / Ownership
Libertarianism.org is a part of the 501(c)(3) Non-profit think tank, Cato Institute. According to their about page “Cato receives approximately 80 percent of its funding through tax-deductible contributions from individuals, many of whom are responding to informative direct mail solicitations and program updates.” Cato offers an annual report that shows the percentages of money received as well as their IRS 990 form. The Cato Institute is funded by a wide variety of organizations including Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, Charles Koch Foundation and Sarah Scaife Foundation. See our full Cato Review here.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the website is broken into the following categories: Explore, which allows you to do filtered searches of content; Encyclopedia, which allows searching the entire website; Guides, which are online courses to learn about Libertarianism; followed by Podcasts and Books. Before we begin, it may be helpful to understand the definition of Libertarianism. In its most simple terms, it is “the philosophy of personal and economic freedom.”
Libertariansm.org features opinion columns that are generally negative toward progressive economics, such as this: What Paul Krugman Got Wrong About Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s 70% Tax Rate. This opinion is properly sourced to the New York Times and the Tax Foundation. Libertarianism.org does not have a favorable view of President Trump and does not support his immigration policies. They also support socially liberal policies such as gay marriage and marijuana legalization. When it comes to science such as climate change, they support the consensus of science, however, they do not support Government solutions.
In general, Libertarianism.org is right economically and left-leaning socially. We rate economic philosophy higher than individual social issues, therefore, overall they are right-center biased.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Libertarianism.org Right-Center biased based on free-market economic philosophy and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 3/2/2019)
Last Updated on October 10, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am