Founded in 2008, Daily Hive (formerly Vancity Buzz) is a local news and lifestyle media outlet serving Canada and the Pacific Northwest of the United States. According to their about page, “Daily Hive embraces the unique qualities that exist in a city and reports it to produce genuine conversation among communities. With unique thematic channels, such as Dished, Mapped, and Urbanized, Daily Hive delivers top-tier information to its local audience and advertisers in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Montreal, Edmonton, Seattle, and Portland.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Daily Hive is owned by its founders Manny Bahia and Karm Sumal. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The Daily Hive Covers news and events from Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Montreal, Edmonton, Seattle, and Portland. They also feature subchannels (Brands) such as DH News – News, Dished – Food, Urbanized – Real estate, architecture, urban design, transportation, and urban issues, Venture – Technology and business, Offside – Sports, Listed – Events, Mapped – Travel, Grow – Cannabis, Colony Digital – Digital marketing agency, and ID Agency – Influencer agency.
News articles contain moderately loaded emotional language, such as this Vancouver restaurant posts savage signs shooing away anti-maskers. The articles reviewed were properly sourced to credible outlets and information.
Editorially, the Daily Hive tends to lean slightly left with stories promoting action on climate change, such as this Unprecedented heat dome fails to spark climate change discussion in BC politics. They also report accurately on Covid-19 through the promotion of social distancing and vaccinations Higher vaccine coverage needed to relax mask mandates: Tam. In general, the Daily Hive reports news factually and holds a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate the Daily Hive Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate the Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a failed fact check in the last 5 years. (D. Van Zandt 8/21/2017) Updated (8/6/2021)
Last Updated on August 6, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am