These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate BNR NewsRadio Right-Center Biased based on editorial and economic positions that favor the right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than high due to a lack of hyperlinked sourcing.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Radio Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1998, BNR Newsradio (BNR Nieuwsradio) is a Dutch commercial radio station headquartered in Amsterdam, Netherlands. BNR NewsRadio features all-day political, economic, and business-related news programming. They primarily target a business audience. Mireille van Ark is the editor-in-chief.
Funded by / Ownership
The FD Mediagroep (also known as FDMG) is a Dutch company that owns BNR Nieuwsradio. The parent company is Hal Investment, and R.Kers, J.N. van Wiechen, A.S. Vink, G. van den Rozenberg are listed as managing directors. Advertising and subscription fees generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, BNR Nieuwsradio utilizes minimally loaded language both in their headlines and articles such as “UK SHARES ON SALE AFTER BREXIT.” When reporting on national political news, they use more emotional language that favors the pro-business right, such as this “FIFTEEN YEARS PVV” (PVV or Partij voor de Vrijheid, is a far-right party) and “PVDA LASHES OUT AT BUSINESS” (PvdA is a center-left party and PvdA stands for Partij van de Arbeid, or the Labour Party). A quote reads, “Party leader Lilianne Ploumen lashed out extremely hard at the business community.”
Since BNR reports on business from the perspective of business people, they tend to be critical of the Labor party. Furthermore, while the wording of the articles is generally neutral, BNR accepts the right-wing anti-immigrant and nationalist positions of the PVV party headed by Geert Wilders. In general, the content appears to be factual; however, there is very little hyperlinked sourcing to validate the claims.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate BNR NewsRadio Right-Center Biased based on editorial and economic positions that favor the right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than high due to a lack of hyperlinked sourcing. (M. Huitsing 6/29/2021) Update (05/09/2022)
Last Updated on May 9, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am