These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Bild Right-Center biased based on sensationalized news reporting and right-leaning editorial positions. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to misleading headlines and a failed fact check.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Bild focuses on running sensationalist stories with massive headlines, eye-catching images, and minimal content on various topics such as politics, sports, entertainment, lifestyle, celebrity gossip, travel, and more. Mathias Döpfner is the Chairman of the Board of Directors, and Julian Reichelt is the editor-in-chief.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In review, Bild typically publishes short articles with very large font sizes and big colorful pictures. Up until 2012, Bild had a tradition of publishing photos of naked women on its front page. Bild often publishes sensational stories such as “Penis sheaths to be banned in Papua police crackdown?” Further, they frequently use emotionally loaded language like Merkel in Berlin Supermarket: The Chancellor pays with a card and “Is Germany now threatened by a corona pegida?” (Note: Pegida is a far-right nationalistic political movement). On the issues such as immigration, they report the news with strong emotionally loaded headlines such as “The secret report warns of more and more migration.” However, they also publish articles regarding immigrants with a positive tone, such as “We Help.”. Critiques of Bild’s approach claim they are “an unstable person’s mood swings that shifts day to day such as one day, Bild publishes articles against ‘refugee hate’ and the next day they publish articles with headlines such as ‘568 Asylum Seekers Are Multiple Offenders!’ fueling fear and hate.”
Bild uses quotes from experts and hyperlinks sources such as Telegraaf.nl, People Magazine, and The Sun when it comes to sourcing. When covering world news about the USA, they cover the Trump administration with a critical tone, such as in this article, “Someone was stupid!”
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate Bild Right-Center biased based on sensationalized news reporting and right-leaning editorial positions. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to misleading headlines and a failed fact check. (M. Huitsing 5/12/2020) Updated (01/20/2022)
Last Updated on January 20, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am