These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the DailyO Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the Right Nationalist Government and Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing and a failed fact check by an IFCN fact checker.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: India 140/180
Founded in 2014, DailyO is a news and opinion platform (similar to Medium) launched by the India Today Group and headquartered in Delhi India. DailyO focuses on politics, sports, life and culture, sci-tech, money, humor, videos, voices and more.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In 2019, Reporters Without Borders ranked India 140/180 in their Press Freedom Index, which is borderline completely lacking press freedom.
In review, according to The Wire “most newspapers in India would be completely unprofitable were it not for government advertising and other kinds of rent that they are able to collect. Bloomberg reports “India’s Government spent $640 million on advertisements.” Therefore, it is crucial for media to be close to the ruling government. Further, paid news, which is defined as an “organized practice in Indian newspapers and other media outlets, where news space and favorable coverage is exchanged for money” is still practiced.
As of 2016, DailyO published articles with a critical tone regarding Narendra Modi (Current Prime Minister and right-wing nationalist party BJP leader) such as this “Shame on Modi for using fake videos to pit students against farmers”. However, they currently publish articles with a pro-Narendra Modi tone: “How an empowered rural economy forms the bedrock of the Modi govt’s long-term strategies for 2022”. They also publish anti-opposition articles such as these: “Amar Singh: ‘Priyanka is definitely better than Rahul Gandhi. But I know the next PM is Modi, Modi and only Modi’” and “The ‘D’ Delusion: What the collective Congress meltdown says about India’s feudal family politics”. Further, The Wire India reports, in 2018, that the India Today Group fired DailyO political editor Angshukanta Chakraborty due to an opinion she expressed in a tweet that was critical of the ruling government.
When covering world news pertaining to the USA, they publish stories critical of the Trump administration: “H1B visa: How Trump is making life miserable for Indian IT professionals in America” and “Xi Jinping and Trump are having a bad year. Modi isn’t and he should capitalize on it during the G20 Summit”. When it comes to sourcing, typically DailyO sources from the India Today group, such as Business Today and Mail Today, however most of the articles are opinions and are poorly sourced. They occasionally utilize credible sources such as ndtv.com and Financial Times.
Overall, we rate the DailyO Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the Right Nationalist Government and Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing and a failed fact check by an IFCN fact checker. (M. Huitsing 7/11/2019)
Last Updated on March 21, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Taliban enforces face-cover order for female TV anchorsby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am