A Delaware man who, along with his father, was among the first people in the U.S. Capitol when a pro-Trump mob attacked it last year was sentenced to two years in prison Monday, prosecutors said.
Hunter Seefried, 24, in June was convicted by a Washington, D.C., judge on a felony count of obstruction of an official proceeding and other misdemeanor counts.
His father, Kevin Seefried, 53, who carried a Confederate flag during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol, was convicted at the same trial, which was decided by a judge rather than a jury.
Hunter Seefried told U.S. District Judge Trevor McFadden he was “deeply sorry for my actions” and “very ashamed of how I carried myself that day.”
He said that every day he carries the “shame and realization” that he participated in an event that’s a “stain” not only on his character, but on U.S. history.
Hunter Seefried cleared a piece of glass from a window as a mob of supporters of then-President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol as Congress was formally counting the electoral votes affirming that Trump had lost the presidential election, officials said.
The Seefrieds, of Laurel, Delaware, “were among the first people to enter the Capitol on January 6,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia said in a statement.
Kevin Seefried’s sentencing is scheduled for January in front of McFadden, a 2017 Trump appointee.
When asked Monday by McFadden how he came to participate in the events of Jan. 6, Hunter Seefried responded: “The crowd, the energy. It’s just very overwhelming.”
Latest from Factual News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 11/28/2023
- Daily Source Bias Check: America Out Loud
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 11/27/2023
- Daily Source Bias Check: AmoMama
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 11/26/2023 (Weekend Edition)
- Daily Source Bias Check: AOL
- MBFC’s Weekly Media Literacy Quiz Covering the Week of Nov 19th – Nov 25th
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 11/25/2023 (Weekend Edition)
- Daily Source Bias Check: Coda Story
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 11/24/2023
Do you appreciate our work? Please consider one of the following ways to sustain us.