These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate LA Weekly as strongly left biased based on story selection that routinely favors the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency with ownership, not disclosing their political bias, and poor sourcing on some articles.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1978, LA Weekly is a free weekly alternative newspaper in Los Angeles, California. According to their about page “L.A. Weekly and laweekly.com have grown into editorial powerhouses in the dynamic #2 market in the country. L.A. Weekly found success by attracting a specific desirable L.A. community with the ultimate fusion of print and web journalism. The website covers news, entertainment and lifestyle. The current editor is Darrick Rainey
Funded by / Ownership
LA Weekly lacks transparency as they do not openly disclose ownership. The paper and website is owned by Semanal Media LLC, which is owned by “David Welch, a Los Angeles-based attorney with ties to the cannabis industry; philanthropist Kevin Xu, an investor with biotech firm Mebo International; attorney Steve Mehr; boutique hotelier Paul Makarechian; real estate developer Mike Mugel; and Southern California investor Andy Bequer.” Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, LA Weekly features original news reporting on the Los Angeles area as well as a guide to entertainment, dining, and lifestyle. Although the website does not disclose their political affiliation, virtually all political stories strongly favor the left. There is the frequent use of loaded language that denigrates the right such as this: CHRISSIE HYNDE’S PRAISE FOR LIMBAUGH PUTS HER IN MORRISSEY’S SHITTY LEAGUE and this SHITHEAD OF THE AMERICAS: WHAT TRUMP DOESN’T KNOW COULD FILL A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. This first story is properly sourced to The Sunday Times and Atlantic, however, the second story is not sourced at all.
Editorially, LA Weekly is a liberal publication that frequently supports climate change action, legal marijuana, and pro-LGBTQ rights such as this: TIME FOR TEA: STRAIGHT PRIDE IS ABOUT HATE. In general, stories are mostly factual, however many stories lack proper sourcing.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate LA Weekly as strongly left biased based on story selection that routinely favors the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency with ownership, not disclosing their political bias, and poor sourcing on some articles. (D. Van Zandt 2/23/2020)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 4, 2022 at 10:15 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Citizen Truthby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: American People Dailyby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 3, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black America Webby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 2, 2022 at 8:00 am