Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate the Climate Depot a strong Pseudoscience source based on promotion of human influenced climate denialism propaganda and the use of poor sources who have failed numerous fact checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
ClimateDepot.com is the website of the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) employee Marc Morano, a conservative global warming denier who previously served as environmental communications director for a vocal political denier of climate change, Republican Sen. James Inhofe. According to their about page “ClimateDepot.com, spearheaded by Morano, will serve as an information clearinghouse and one stop shopping for reporters, policymakers, students, scientists and concerned citizens to get the latest information on global warming and other key environmental and energy issues.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Climate Depot is owned and published through CFACT, which is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that is mostly funded through the Donor’s Trust. The purpose of the Donor’s Trust Fund is to “safeguard the intent of libertarian and conservative donors.” In other words, it allows anti-climate change advocates to donate anonymously. In the past, CFACT received over $500,000 from Exxon-Mobil.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Climate Depot publishes news and information from other sources regarding deregulation and human influenced climate change denialism. There is very little original content present with the purpose of the website serving as a depot to other sources who report on climate change. Occasionally, Climate Depot will summarize the article or offer up opinions regarding the story. The sources utilized, range from credible scientific sources such as NASA, however most of the time they rely on other human influenced Climate Change Denial sources such as Judith Curry, Watts Up with That and the right leaning source Twitchy. In general the majority of stories/information published on this website is opposed to the consensus of science regarding climate change.
A factual search reveals they have failed one fact check, however the sources they utilize have failed numerous fact checks.
- “2016 global temperature: the pause never went away, ‘hottest’ claims within margin of Error – PANTS OF FIRE
Overall, we rate the Climate Depot a strong Pseudoscience source based on promotion of human influenced climate denialism propaganda and the use of poor sources who have failed numerous fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 12/26/2016) Updated (9/26/2019)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am