These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Dead State Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor liberal policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded by Sky Palma in 2012, Dead State is a left leaning online news and opinion website. According to their about page “Without resorting to clickbait and misinformation, DeadState highlights both the absurdity and triumphs of people, politics, current events, religion, and the overall human condition from an unapologetically secular progressive perspective.”
Sky Palma is also the editor of Being Liberal, which we rate Left Biased and High for factual reporting as well.
Funded by / Ownership
Dead State is owned by Sky Palma and is funded primarily through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Dead State reports news and opinion with a liberal bias in reporting. Most stories favor the left and some use moderately loaded words such as this: Twitter points out the irony of Sarah Sanders telling Democrats to ‘quit lying’. This story is properly sourced to USA Today. Another example of loaded language can be found here: Anti-LGBT Republican resigns after accusations he used gay dating app to meet way-younger men. This story is also properly sourced. Editorially, Dead State usually favors the Left and reports negatively on the right. In particular, Dead State is not a fan of President Trump: Christians finally condemn Trump’s racist rally — because he said ‘Goddamn’ and Former RNC Chairman: Christian ‘phonies’ sold out for ‘thirty pieces of silver’ under Trump. It should be noted that a lot of Dead State’s content comes from a secular perspective, which by default places them left in our current political system, which some may argue is not accurate.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Dead State Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor liberal policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check record. (12/6/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 7/25/2019)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am