A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
Reasoning: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Lack of Transparency, Some Fake News
World Press Freedom Index: USA 48/180
Founded in 2006, The Political Insider is a conservative news and opinion website. According to their about page “The Political Insider publishes the authentic conservative voices of political insiders and award-winning contributors who believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values, and a strong national defense. Each one is committed to combating the overwhelming liberal bias in today’s media to give you, the reader, the unedited facts on real issues.” The website does not disclose its editors or content creators.
Funded by / Ownership
Political Insider is held by The Political Insider LLC, which is in turn owned by Aurora Media Inc. According to their website “Aurora Media, Inc., a privately held company, to investigate, develop and implement new media opportunities for businesses. Aurora Media, Inc. is the parent company of The Political Insider, LLC, TellMeNow.com, LLC, and Sports: Unstoppable, LLC, and operates closely with Intermarkets, Inc., the nation’s leading, independent digital advertising sales management and services firm. According to Open Secrets Intermarkets receives money from Republican PACS and donors. Revenue for Political Insider is derived from advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Political Insider reports news and opinions with a far right conservative bias in story selection. Virtually every story favors the right, while portraying the left negatively. There is frequent use of loaded emotional wording such as this: Narrative Fail: Statistics Show Border Deaths Declined in Trump’s First Two Years. This story is appropriately sourced to the right leaning National Review. Another example of loaded wording favoring the Right (Trump) can be found here: Trump Slams ‘Staged’ Airport Rally In Support of Ilhan Omar. Political Insider also publishes news from the factually Mixed Daily Caller. Finally, Political Insider has published debunked conspiracy theories, such as the fake Wikileaks report that Seth Rich delivered documents to Wikileaks and hence was murdered and the Obama birther conspiracy.
Editorially, the website does not distinguish at all between opinion and news pieces, which can be misleading. Further, each original news story features extremely right biased commentary from their authors. In general, this is a website that features extremely biased conservative opinions that serves as a propaganda outlet for the Republican Party. Lastly, they are also listed on Politifact’s fake news list.
A factual search reveals they have failed fact checks.
- A picture shows former President Bill Clinton naked with another woman. – PANTS ON FIRE
- A web site ridiculously claimed that because the phrase “octopus hands” appears in the lyrics of a 1960s song, a woman’s story about being groped by Donald Trump was untrue. – UNPROVEN
Overall, we rate The Political Insider Questionable based on Extreme Right Wing Bias, promotion of conspiracy theories, a lack of transparency and a few failed fact checks. (10/8/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 7/19/2019)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am