These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Newsbusters Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right. We also rate them borderline questionable due to the use of poor sources and numerous failed fact checks. One additional failed fact check will push this source by default onto the Questionable list.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 2005, Newsbusters claims to expose liberal bias much like its parent organization Media Research Center. The website features a tagline that reads “dedicated to exposing & combating liberal media bias.” Essentially, this site reports on perceived liberal bias in the media and by individuals. According to their about page, they state “the NewsBusters blog provides immediate exposure of national media bias, unfairness, inaccuracy, and occasional idiocy.”
The parent organization, Media Research Center (MRC) was founded in 1987 by L. Brent Bozell III. MRC claims to be “America’s leading media watchdog in documenting, exposing and neutralizing liberal media bias.”
Funded by / Ownership
Newsbusters is owned by the Media Research Center, which is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. The MRC has received financial support from several right leaning sources, including the Bradley, Scaife, Olin, Castle Rock, Carthage and JM foundations, as well as ExxonMobil. Newsbusters is funded by MRC and also displays advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Newsbusters reports news on liberal bias. They frequently use strongly loaded, emotional and right biased wording such as this: CBS’s Garrett Hammers NBC for Boosting Warren During Debate. This story is sourced to video footage and tweets. Another example of emotionally charged language can be found here: NBC’s Liberal Debate Obsessions: Save Miami! Grab Guns! Fight Mitch McConnell! When it comes to sourcing they usually provide video to support their opinions, however other times they use poor sources such as Rush Limbaugh and Breitbart. Editorially, Newsbusters always favors conservatives and denigrates the left.
A factual search reveals a poor track record with IFCN fact checkers.
- Ted Kennedy sent a letter to then Soviet leader Yuri Andropov apologizing for Ronald Reagan and begging the Soviets not to overreact. – FALSE
- Warren Buffett recently said “Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over.” – PANTS ON FIRE
- Says after Hurricane Sandy, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg “refused to allow the National Guard into the city to restore civil order because Guardsmen carry guns!” – MOSTLY FALSE
- The Communist Party of the USA endorsed Hillary Clinton. – FALSE
Overall, we rate Newsbusters Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right. We also rate them borderline questionable due to the use of poor sources and numerous failed fact checks. One additional failed fact check will push this source by default onto the Questionable list. (D. Van Zandt 7/19/2016) Updated (6/27/2019)
Left vs. Right Bias: How we rate the bias of media sources
Be the first to comment on "Daily Source Bias Check: Newsbusters"