Advertisements

Google plans to launch censored search engine in China

Google is planning to launch a censored version of its search engine in China, The Intercept reported, prompting pushback from some of its employees.

Share:

Published with permission by Knowhere News

Google is reportedly creating an application that “will comply with the country’s strict censorship laws, restricting access to content that Xi Jinping’s Communist Party regime deems unfavorable,” according to a report from The Intercept published Wednesday.

Google’s search services have been blocked in China since 2010 after the company refused to accept the government’s censorship demands and after suffering from hacks that attempted to reveal the identity of Chinese dissidents. Google’s website is now blocked by China’s country-wide internet censors.

The company took a strong stand at the time against the Chinese government’s surveillance tactics, and Google co-founder Sergey Brin, who was born in the Soviet Union, criticized the “forces of authoritarianism” present in China.

Brin has since turned over day-to-day control of the company to CEO Sundar Pichai. Pichai said in 2016 that “Google is for everyone,” and “We want to be in China serving Chinese users.”

Pichai previously appeared to give in to pressure from Google employees who objected to a separate project regarding the use of artificial intelligence for weapons. Meredith Whittaker, a high-profile Google researcher, said on Twitter the search giant’s move in China could violate an aspect of that agreement by “enabling mass politically-directed censorship of (AI-enabled) search.”

Advertisements

Knowhere News Impartial coverage of the day's biggest stories

  • Saudi conference continues hemorrhaging international executives
    on October 17, 2018 at 7:57 pm

    Jean Lemierre, the BNP Paribas Chairman, joined other chief executives and companies by canceling his plans to attend a Saudi Arabian investment conference scheduled for Oct. 23-25 in Riyadh amid an international focus on the fate of Jamal Khashoggi, a US resident and Washington Post columnist. […]

  • At least 10 killed in bomb blast at Crimean college
    on October 17, 2018 at 1:34 pm

    A blast at a college in Crimean port city Kerch killed 10 and injured dozens Wednesday, Russian news agencies reported. […]

  • Trump continues Fed criticism, calls bank 'my biggest threat'
    on October 17, 2018 at 8:52 am

    President Donald Trump called the Federal Reserve "my biggest threat" on Tuesday, the latest in a string of criticisms that have broken with the precedent set by former presidents, who refrained from criticizing the independent central bank. […]

  • President Donald Trump calls Stormy Daniels 'Horseface'
    on October 16, 2018 at 7:56 pm

    President Donald Trump went on the attack against adult film star Stormy Daniels on Tuesday after a lawsuit against him was thrown out of federal court. […]

  • US secretary of state meets with Saudi crown prince over Khashoggi
    on October 16, 2018 at 7:24 pm

    US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo flew to the Middle East and met Tuesday with Saudi Arabia's rulers over the Oct. 2 disappearance and alleged murder of US resident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi after he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to obtain some documents related to his forthcoming marriage. […]

Follow Blog via Email

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.