We were asked by a reader if President Donald Trump is removing LGBTQ questions from the upcoming census. On March 28th, several media outlets reported that Trump was removing LGBTQ questions from the 2020 census. The articles implied that these questions were on the previous census. This then spread across social media.
Looking back at the previous census fact sheet, it can be seen that these questions did not exist to begin with. Therefore, it is not possible for these questions to be removed. What actually happened was the Census Bureau issued a report that had those questions listed as proposed census topics. It was then corrected and removed from the final version.
According to the Census Bureau “The Subjects Planned for the 2020 Census and American Community Survey report released today inadvertently listed sexual orientation and gender identity as a proposed topic in the appendix,” the statement says. “The report has been corrected.”
The Bureau went on to indicate that “Neither the U.S. Census, nor the American Community Survey, had ever included questions about sexual orientation or transgender status.”
Essentially, those questions were never on the survey and there isn’t going to be changes regarding questions pertaining to LGBTQ status. We rate this claim a Blatant Lie.
Note: Our ratings are as follows: True, Mostly True, Mostly False, False and Blatant Lie. Blatant Lie is the category used when a claim is false and meant to mislead.
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am