These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate TVA Nouvelles Left-Center biased based on editorial positions and story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency with ownership and authors.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1972, TVA Nouvelles (TVA News) is a French-language television station based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. tvanouvelles.ca is the associated news website covering local, national, international, politics, crime, technology, and culture. The website lacks transparency as they do not have an about page or clearly describes ownership and funding.
Funded by / Ownership
The TVA Group, a subsidiary of the telecommunications company Quebecor, owns TVA Nouvelles. Quebecor owns prominent newspapers such as Le Journal de Montreal and Le Journal de Quebec. The TVA group receives millions of dollars in subsidies and funding from the government. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
TVA Nouvelles (TVA News) provides news programming on the TV station and a website that reports local, national, and international news. The focus of this review is on website content only.
Local news is covered with minimal bias, such as this Fatal collision between a vehicle and a semi-trailer. At the same time, international news is covered by AFP and other credible news agencies. Many stories on the website contain videos from the TV station.
Editorially, TVA Nouvelles does not have a dedicated opinion section but sometimes mixes opinion into news articles such as this Law 21 criticized: “we want to make Quebec look like racist people.” When reporting on Quebec’s conservative/nationalist Prime Minister Francois Legault, they often report negatively, such as this Double time bonuses in health: “Too little, too late,” according to the unions.
Finally, a Reuters institute survey found that 64% of respondents trust their news coverage and 20% do not, ranking them #3 in trust among the major Canadian news providers. TVA Nouvelles generally reports news factually but lacks transparency and holds a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate TVA Nouvelles Left-Center biased based on editorial positions and story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency with ownership and authors. (D. Van Zandt 07/31/2022)
Last Updated on July 31, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/19/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 19, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Higher Perspectiveby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 19, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Brian Stelter to depart CNN as it cancels 'Reliable Sources' media showby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 18, 2022 at 6:10 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/18/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 18, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bemidji Pioneerby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 18, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/17/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 17, 2022 at 10:30 am