Tim Scott is currently a Senator from South Carolina and is running for President of the United States in 2024. He is a member of the conservative wing of the Republican Party. We assign Tim Scott a Right Biased and Mixed factual rating due to several failed fact checks.
You are viewing this page with fewer Ads
See all MBFC content Completely Ad-Free
State: South Carolina
Title: U.S. Senator (2013 – Present) – Presidential Candidate
Political Party: Republican
Political Alignment: Conservative Right
Factual Rating: Mixed
- Member of the Charleston County Council (1995-2008)
- Member of the South Carolina House of Representatives (2009-2010)
- U.S. Representative for South Carolina’s 1st congressional district (2011-2013)
- U.S. Senator from South Carolina (2013-Present)
Stance on Key Policies:
- Abortion Rights: Unfavorable – Tim Scott is pro-life. He believes in the sanctity of life and has consistently voted for pro-life measures. He has a 100% rating from the National Right to Life Committee.
- Economy: Free Market Capitalism – Tim Scott supports free market principles and has voted for tax cuts. He has a high rating from the Club for Growth, a fiscal conservative organization.
- Climate Change: Supports Limited Government Action – Tim Scott has expressed skepticism about the extent of human contribution to climate change. He has voted against EPA regulations and has supported the Keystone XL Pipeline.
- Education: Choice-Charter-Private Schools – Tim Scott is a proponent of school choice and has supported measures to increase access to charter schools and vouchers. He has also worked on legislation to reform the student loan process.
- Foreign Policy: Mixed – Tim Scott believes returning to Free-Market principles is the best way to combat China. When asked about sending cluster bombs to Ukraine he replied, “under my administration, we would have the resources and a defense industrial complex that provides the weapons that we need and our Western allies need, we wouldn’t be in this position at all.”
- LGBTQ Rights: Mixed – Tim Scott has a mixed record on LGBTQ rights. He has voted against same-sex marriage and supported measures to prevent discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Gun Ownership: Limited Gun Control Measures – Tim Scott is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and has generally opposed gun control measures. He has a high rating from the National Rifle Association.
- Immigration: Limited Immigration – Tim Scott supports stronger border security and has opposed amnesty for undocumented immigrants. He has voted for measures to increase border security and to defund sanctuary cities.
- Health Care: Market-Based Health Care – Tim Scott has been a critic of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and has voted for its repeal. He supports market-based healthcare solutions.
- Overall: Conservative – His policy positions and actions align more closely with current conservative principles.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- “Under President Biden … the share of working age men choosing to work is the lowest it has ever been.” – False
- Says Georgia “has more day-of voting rights than Colorado.” – Mostly False
- “If you don’t pay income taxes … you’ll have more money” under the Republican tax plan. – False
- “There have been more illegal encounters under Biden than the previous two administrations combined.” – False
- “Think about parents who show up at school board meetings. By this DOJ, they’re called domestic terrorists.” – False
(M. Huitsing 07/28/2023)
Last Updated on July 28, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check