These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Spiked Magazine Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that mostly favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a failed fact check and publishing misleading scientific information.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: United Kingdom (33/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2001, Spiked is a British Internet magazine focusing on politics, culture, and society from a libertarian viewpoint. Spiked focuses on issues of freedom and state control, science and technology, culture, education, and literature. According to their about page, “Spiked is the magazine that wants to change the world as well as report on it. We are committed to fighting for humanism, democracy, and freedom. “The current editor is Brendan O’Neill.
Funded by / Ownership
Spiked is owned by Spiked Limited, which is a company owned by Frank Furedi and Jennie Bristow. Funding has come from the Charles Koch Foundation, and current revenue is generated through donations and onsite advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Spiked publishes news and commentary with a conservative/libertarian bias. There is the frequent use of loaded emotional language such as this: The barbarism of identity politics. There are also many articles featuring anti-feminist tones: #MeToo has ruined the office romance. When it comes to UK politics, they are fiercely pro-Brexit. When covering USA politics, they report favorably on former President Donald Trump: If Trump is Hitler, then Obama was Hitler too.
Some articles are opposed to Trump, such as this: The idiocy of Trump’s Iran-baiting. When it comes to climate science, Spiked has varied editorial positions, with most supporting the notion that; humans indeed impact global warming; however, they prefer a limited Government role, which does not align with climate scientists’ recommendations. They have also published misleading information such as this: Global warming: the 97% fallacy.
Failed Fact Checks
- The chairperson of a California state senate committee announced a rule change banning the use of the gendered pronouns “he” and “she” in committee hearings, in favor of the gender-neutral “they.” – False
Overall, we rate Spiked Magazine Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that mostly favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a failed fact check and publishing misleading scientific information. (D. Van Zandt 12/27/2016) Updated (9/07/2021)
Last Updated on September 7, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm