Reasoning: Propaganda, Conspiracy, Pseudoscience, Poor Sourcing, False Claims, Lack of Transparency
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2009, SHTFplan.com is a news and opinion website that promotes right-wing conspiracy theories and pseudoscience. The website lacks transparency as they do not include an about page or disclose ownership.
Funded by / Ownership
SHTFplan lacks transparency as they do not disclose ownership. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
SHTFPlan.com frequently promotes conspiracy theories and pseudoscience using highly emotional language such as this TOTAL TYRANNY: WE’LL ALL BE TARGETED UNDER THE GOVERNMENT’S NEW PRECRIME PROGRAM. They republished this story from the Rutherford Institute. When clicking on a story with a highly questionable headline BIDEN & HARRIS GUILTY OF UNIMAGINABLE CRIMES AGAINST CHILDREN !!!, they indicate that they have been banned by other platforms: “ALERT: On October 15, 2020, YouTube terminated BOTH SGT Report YouTube channels without warning or cause. On October 22, 2020, Patreon terminated the SGT Report Patreon page without warning or cause. This is economic warfare, friends.” One would assume this is due to publishing and dangerous information as it relates to Covid-19 and vaccines.
SHTFplan generally promotes conspiracies and pseudoscience that appeal to the right such as climate change denialism, anti-vaccination propaganda, and fear of socialism. This source totally lacks credibility and produces low factual content.
Failed Fact Checks
- “The Government has released their initial plans to force a vaccine on everyone”; “Three potential vaccines are currently in Stage 3 trials in the United States and could be ready in weeks” – Inaccurate
- “Seattle police begin gun confiscations: no laws broken, no warrant, no charges.” – False
- NASA Scientist Warns: The Lack Of Sunspots Could Bring Record Cold – Inaccurate
Overall, we rate SHTFplan.com extreme right biased and questionable based on the use of poor sources, promotion of propaganda, pseudoscience and conspiracy theories, several false claims, and a complete lack of transparency. (D. Van Zandt 5/4/2017) Updated (5/24/2021)
Last Updated on May 24, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am