Founded in 2005, RT, originally Russia Today, is a television network funded by the Russian Government. It operates cable and satellite television channels directed to audiences outside of Russia and provides Internet content in various languages, including Russian. Critics of RT claim they are a source of disinformation and pro-Russian propaganda.
RT DE was launched in 2014, covering German and international news from a pro-Russian perspective. According to their about page, “RT DE gives its audience a glimpse into the logic, interests, and views of Russia. We strongly believe that the Russian position does not have to be shared but that it should be understood. We give our viewers and readers the opportunity to turn the large chessboard to see the playing field from a different perspective.”
Funded by / Ownership
ANO “TV-Novosti,” owns RT News, which the Russian Government funds. The network is supported through advertising and 307 million USD from the Russian Government as of 2016. The Russian Federation continues to fund RT and RT DE.
Analysis / Bias
In review, RT DE News presents news generally in line with the Russian Government’s narrative, often opposed to the German media. When it comes to covering USA/International News, they provide right-of-center coverage. They are highly biased in favor of Russia and occasionally run Pro-state conspiracy stories. The Columbia Journalism Review calls RT “The Kremlin’s propaganda outlet.”
In general, most international news stories on RT are factual and relate to actual events; however, there are occasional pieces that spin these facts into a different narrative that is misleading. Another concerning aspect of RT is they do not list author information for articles published on the website. This presents a lack of transparency that makes it difficult to verify the information.
During the Covid-19 Pandemic, they have made false and misleading claims regarding vaccines such as this Canadian Immunologist on Corona Vaccines: “We Made a Big Mistake.” In the article, they claim that Spike Proteins are dangerous and toxic. This is not true. In general, RT DE is no different than the original RT promoting conspiracy theories, misinformation, and pro-Russian propaganda from a right-leaning perspective.
Failed Fact Checks
- While RT Bemoans Ukrainian Propaganda, it is Russians who Feel the Disinfo Fallout – FALSE
- RT: OPCW Got its Chemical Weapons Samples from ‘Jihadists’ – FALSE
- RT Distorts Disinformation Detective’s Guide to Russian Trolls – FALSE
- RT’s FARA examined. Part I – FALSE
- RT: US Special Envoy Says Russia Seeks to ‘Freeze’ Conflict in … – FALSE
- “Melting statues to create modern art is a sign America hates its own history & no different from ISIS destroying Palmyra.” – FALSE
Overall, we rate RT DE Questionable based on promoting pro-Russian propaganda, conspiracy theories, numerous failed fact checks, and a lack of author transparency. (D. Van Zandt 11/21/2021)
Last Updated on January 12, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am