These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Right & Free strongly Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor a conservative perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency regarding ownership and funding, as well as having many authors who have failed fact checks in the past.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2012, Right & Free is a hyper-partisan conservative news and opinion website with a tagline that reads: “Right & Free is dedicated to defeating the liberal agenda with the power of the Internet.” According to their about page, “We believe steadfastly in our Founding Fathers’ vision of a land where the government serves the people, not the other way around. We believe that “We the People” are in control..”
The website generally lacks transparency as they do not list an editor or ownership; however, author information is provided.
Funded by / Ownership
The website does not indicate who owns or funds Right & Free. Revenue is derived through advertising and an online store that sells conservative-themed merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Right & Free publishes news and mostly opinion pieces from a conservative perspective. The website features prominent conservative and libertarian columnists such as Brent Bozell III, Michelle Malkin, Judge Napolitano, and Dennis Prager. Headlines and wording can range from minimally loaded such as this, Trump and Black Outreach, to highly emotional such this, Does the Left Hate America? This latter column is written by Dennis Prager who is the founder of the Questionable PragerU. Some of the other authors, such as Brent Bozell III, who founded MRC and CNS News have a poor track record with fact-checkers.
Editorially, Right & Free openly disclose their right-leaning positions as follows:
- Lower taxes and spending (especially on entitlement programs)
- Strong national defense
- Repeal the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)
- Freedom of Religion
- Free Markets
- Energy Independence (Human Influenced Climate Change Skepticism)
Regarding science, they present skepticism when it comes to human-influenced climate change, such as this: Climate Myths. This story does not deny that the earth is warming; however, it does attempt to minimize the impacts while pointing out the “alarmism” of others.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years; however, many of their columnists have poor fact-check records, such as Michelle Malkin.
Overall, we rate Right & Free strongly Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor a conservative perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency regarding ownership and funding, as well as having many authors who have failed fact checks in the past. (D. Van Zandt 12/23/2019) Updated (08/20/2022)
Last Updated on August 20, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am