These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate New Internationalist Left Biased based on editorial positions that favor socialist positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 35/180
Founded in 1973, New Internationalist (NI) is an independent, non-profit, publishing co-operative, based in Oxford, United Kingdom. Predominantly known for its monthly independent magazine, it describes itself as existing to ‘cover stories the mainstream media sidestep and provide alternative perspectives on today’s global critical issues. According to their about page “New Internationalist is a leading independent media organization dedicated to socially conscious journalism and publishing.”
Funded by / Ownership
The magazine and website are published by New Internationalist Publications Limited. According to their about page they are owned by a multi-stakeholder co-operative co-owned by our workers and over 3,600 investors. Revenue is derived through donations and an Ethical Shop that sells earth-friendly merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
In review, New Internationalist publishes news and information related to global justice such as social and environmental issues. Articles and headlines utilize moderate loaded emotional wording such as this: HOW COUNTER-TERROR POLICE QUASH DISSENT. This story is well sourced to the Guardian, Netpol, and the BBC. As mentioned, New Internationalist frequently reports on environmental issues such as climate change: WHEN A ‘CLIMATE ELECTION’ GOES WRONG. They also report favorably on socialism such as this: WHAT IF…A SOCIALIST BECAME PRESIDENT OF THE USA?. Further, they report very negatively on current conservative Prime Minister Boris Johnson: F**K OFF BORIS! In general, New Internationalist reports news accurately and with a strong left-leaning (Socialist) bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate New Internationalist Left Biased based on editorial positions that favor socialist positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (5/13/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 6/28/2020)
Last Updated on October 10, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm