These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased, and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate the New Humanist a Pro-Science source that advocates for evidence-based reasoning.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom (33/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
New Humanist is a quarterly print magazine and website based in London/UK and published by the Rationalist Association. New Humanist was founded by C. A. Watts in November 1885 (under the name Watts’s Literary Guide). The main focus of this magazine is culture, news, philosophy, and science from a skeptical perspective. Some articles on this website require a subscription to view.
Funded by / Ownership
The Rationalist Association owns and publishes the New Humanist. Subscription fees generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The New Humanist publishes news that focuses on culture, news, philosophy, and science from a skeptical perspective. Articles and headlines are well-sourced but do not contain hyperlinks because this is a print magazine. Headlines also describe the contents of the story, such as this How the fear of death gave birth to religion.
Editorially, many stories are opposed to religion as they are not related to evidence-based science, such as this Why is an anti-homophobia bill being fought by the Vatican? Some may think being opposed to religious dogma is a left-leaning perspective, but it is a free-thinking perspective that does not have left or right bias. In general, all information is factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the New Humanist a Pro-Science source that advocates for evidence-based reasoning. (M. Huitsing 8/23/2017)
Last Updated on August 20, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am