These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Mahmoud Abbas is currently the President of the Palestinian National Authority. He is a member of the left-leaning social democratic Fatah Party. We assign Mahmoud Abbas a Left-Center Bias and Mixed factual rating due to numerous false and misleading claims regarding Israel.
About Mahmoud Abbas
Title: President (2005 – Present)
Political Party: Fatah
Political Alignment: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Rating: MIXED
- Prime Minister of the Palestinian National Authority (2003)
- Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization (2004)
- President of the State of Palestine (2005 – 2008)
- President of the Palestinian National Authority (2005 – Present)
Mahmoud Abbas is a member of the Fatah Party. The Fatah Party is a Palestinian secular nationalist social-democratic political party. The primary opposition to Fatah is Hamas which holds conservative Islamic positions and is considered a terrorist group by the United States. Mahmoud Abbas has made controversial statements regarding Israel and the Jewish people, such as equating Zionists with Nazis and claiming that Jews in Europe were massacred for centuries because of their “social role related to usury and banks.” Although Abbas holds left-leaning social and economic positions, he has been condemned by the Anti-Defamation League for anti-Israel and anti-Semitic statements.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- There is no record of officially failed fact-checks; however, Mahmoud Abbas frequently makes false or misleading claims regarding Israel. See the above examples.
(D. Van Zandt 05/14/2022)
Last Updated on May 24, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check