These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate LifeSiteNews far right biased based on story selection that always favors evangelical Christianity and Mixed for factual reporting due to a few failed fact checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180
According to their about page LifeSiteNews “is a non-profit Internet service dedicated to issues of culture, life, and family.” The website was founded by the Campaign Life Coalition which is a Canadian political lobbyist organization founded in 1978. Based in Toronto, the organization advocates for socially conservative values. In addition to its initial goals of passing restrictions on abortion and euthanasia, Campaign Life Coalition advocates for what it describes as traditional family values, including opposition to same-sex marriage and age-inappropriate sex education.
Read our profile on Canadian government influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
LifeSiteNews is owned by the Conservative Campaign Life Coalition and is funded, according to their about page as “LifeSiteNews.com depends primarily on the donations of generous readers to maintain its free service. It also has a paid advertising program.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, LifeSiteNews primarily reports on anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, and pro-Evangelical Christian Issues. An example of a pro-Christian story can be found here: Why being Christian means traveling with Jesus from Bethlehem to Calvary. LifeSiteNews also has a favorable opinion of President Trump as evidenced by this piece: How Trump brought Christmas back to America. Editorially, every single story is right-leaning, such as this story that also sources non-credible sources such as Rush Limbaugh and CNSNews. In general, story selection favors the Christian right and denigrates the left.
Failed Fact Checks
- Target is donating $100,000 to “promote gay lifestyles to school children.” – MOSTLY FALSE
- Parents in California are not allowed to pull their children out of sexual education classes. – MOSTLY FALSE
- The proceeds of Girl Scout Cookies are used to support Planned Parenthood. – FALSE
- “Johns Hopkins study mysteriously disappears after it revealed, in spite of COVID, no more deaths in 2020 than in prior years” – INACCURATE
Overall, we rate LifeSiteNews far right biased based on story selection that always favors evangelical Christianity and Mixed for factual reporting due to a few failed fact checks. (11/25/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 11/30/2020)