These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate IceNews Left-Center biased based on political positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to sensationalized headlines and lack of transparency.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
IceNews is an Icelandic English Language Newspaper distributed predominantly in Nordic countries. IceNews is based in Reykjavik, Iceland. According to its about page, the main focus is current events, politics, entertainment, culture, travel, and forthcoming events in Scandinavia and Northern Europe. IceNews does not disclose staff names.
Funded by / Ownership
IceNews does not disclose its ownership; however, it generates revenue through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In 2021 Reporters Without Borders ranked Iceland 16/180 in their Press Freedom Index. Currently, Katrin Jakobsdottir is the Prime Minister of Iceland. She was also Deputy Chairman of the Left-Green Movement’s parliamentary group from 2007-2013. Currently, the President of Iceland is Gudni Johannesson, which is considered a ceremonial role.
In review, IceNews features articles with sensational headlines such as “Topless nurse advert gets pulses racing in Denmark.” IceNews also publishes articles with loaded emotional language in their headlines, such as “Icelandic Man Arrested After Escaping Prison and Fleeing on Same Plane as Prime Minister.” This story is under the section called “bizarre news.” When reporting on political news, they usually remain neutral such as this The president summons Katrin Jakobsdottir of the Left-Green party.
When covering world news pertaining to the USA, they cover the Trump administration with a critical tone, such as “Icelandic government releases a statement condemning US President Trump’s executive order on immigration.” When it comes to sourcing, they use local sources that we have yet to evaluate, such as grapevine.is, ruv.is, visir.is.
Editorially, IceNews promotes concern for human-influenced climate change and LGBTQ rights, and pro-immigration positions. In general, IceNews reports news mostly factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate IceNews Left-Center biased based on political positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to sensationalized headlines and lack of transparency. (D. Van Zandt 8/14/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 04/29/2022)
Last Updated on April 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am