These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the History News Network Left-Center Biased based on the presentation of history from a left-leaning perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
The History News Network is a non-profit corporation registered in Washington DC. The editor and founder of HNN is Rick Shenkman; its Advisory Board includes other academic scholars such as historians Gil Troy and Joyce Appleby and Leonard Steinhorn. The mission of HNN is to help readers put the news into a historical perspective.
Funded by / Ownership
The History News Network is a non-profit funded through George Washington University, which holds a student body that is mostly liberal.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The History News Network is a platform for historians writing about current events. Headlines often contain minimal bias and explain directly what is in the article to follow, such as this: The Myth of the First Thanksgiving is a Buttress of White Nationalism and Needs to Go. Story selection tends to lean left and often denigrates former President Trump, such as this article: CURING OURSELVES WITH FRED ROGERS, that contains this quote “Instead of stressing about Trump’s latest idiocy or the decline of American politics, about which we can do very little, we could try to emulate Mr. Rogers.” In general, the History News Network is fact-based and sourced, with a historical perspective that leans left.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the History News Network Left-Center Biased based on the presentation of history from a left-leaning perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 2/4/2017) Updated (08/03/2021)
Last Updated on August 3, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am