These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Feminist Current, Left biased based on story selection and editorial positions that generally favors the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of transphobia.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
According to their about page Feminist Current “provides a unique perspective on male violence against women, pop culture, politics, current events, sexuality, gender, and many other issues that are often underrepresented or misrepresented by mainstream, progressive, and feminist media sources.” Founded in 2012, Feminist Current claims to be Canada’s “leading feminist website.” The Founder and Editor are Meghan Murphy, who has written for numerous left-leaning publications, including the CBC and Alternet. The Feminist Current has been described as a radical feminist blog.
Read our profile on Canadian government influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
The Feminist Current website does not clearly indicate ownership, and they appear to be funded primarily through donations and a shop that sells merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
Feminist Current uses moderately loaded words in their articles and headlines such as this: Twitter’s sexist hypocrisy can no longer be ignored, and Why don’t we consider violence against women and girls terrorism? These stories are appropriately sourced to credible sources via hyperlinks, as is today’s standard for digital media.
Politically, Feminist Current supports issues associated with the left, such as Reproductive Rights, Equal Pay, and LGBT rights. However, they have made controversial statements regarding Transgender legislation. For example, the owner and editor Megan Murphy was banned from Twitter in 2018 for violating their hateful conduct policy by misgendering people Writer Sues Twitter Over Ban for Criticizing Transgender People. Further, she has faced protests from LGBTQ groups for promoting transphobia Tory ‘disappointed’ in Toronto Public Library for hosting speaker accused of transphobia.
In general, Feminist Current promotes second-wave feminism and holds controversial positions regarding Transgenderism.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Feminist Current, Left biased based on story selection and editorial positions that generally favors the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of transphobia. (D. Van Zandt 3/25/2018) Updated (05/10/2022)
Last Updated on May 10, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am