These sources exclusively use humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues. Primarily these sources are transparent that they are satire and do not attempt to deceive. See all Satire sources.
- Overall, we rate FARK.com a left-leaning Satire website based on properly disclosing the satirical nature of the content.
Bias Rating: LEFT SATIRE
Factual Reporting: N/A
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: N/A
Launched in 1999 by author Drew Curtis, FARK.com is a satire website that aggregates news stories adding humorous/ironic headlines. According to their about page, “Fark.com, the Web site, is a news aggregator and an edited social networking news site. Every day Fark receives 2,000 or so news submissions from its readership, from which we hand-pick the funny and weird notable news — and not-news — of the day.”
Funded by / Ownership
Drew Curtis owns FARK.com, with advertising and membership fees generating revenue.
Analysis / Bias
FARK.com is a satirical website that aggregates user-submitted news stories from other sources and adds humorous or ironic headlines. When you click on the headline, you are directed offsite to the original source. FARK links to a wide variety of sources, including Fox News, CNN, Forbes, local media outlets, and social media posts. The satirical headlines are labeled silly, creepy, sick, spiffy, ironic, strange, Murica, and several more. An example of a “strange” headline is as follows: Man sets up fake charity to defraud his employer out of $600k in company matching donation funds. Probably now wishes he held onto that Time Stone.
Editorially, FARK.com often pokes fun at former President Trump and conservatives such as this We seem to be having just a wee bit of difficulty locating the 50 percent of constitutional scholars with whom Donald Trump has spoken who agree with his interpretation of January 6. In general, FARK is a left-leaning, properly disclaimed satire website.
Overall, we rate FARK.com a left-leaning Satire website based on properly disclosing the satirical nature of the content. (D. Van Zandt 11/23/2021)
Last Updated on January 9, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am