Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MODERATE FREEDOM
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2012, Digi24 is a 24-hour news television network based in Bucharest, Romania. Digi24.ro is an online portal, which publishes news and commentaries, politics, current events, and business news.
Funded by / Ownership
RCS & RDS, a Romanian telecom company, owns Digi24. The Hungarian-Romanian entrepreneur Zoltán Teszari holds the majority stake in RCS & RDS. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Reporters Without Borders describes Romania’s media as “The government’s vision of journalism and freedom of expression encourages censorship and self-censorship.”
According to Forbes, Digi24 fired its reporter Cristi Citre due to his criticism of then PM Victor Ponta. The parent company RCD & RDS is Romania’s largest cable and satellite television provider, and Zoltán Teszári owns both companies. According to local news site transylvanianow.com, “Zoltán Teszári is reportedly toning down the critical edge of his TV station Digi24 so as not to hurt his business interests in the telecoms sector.” A Reuters Institute report (2020) points out that Digi24 is one of the most trusted brands in Romania that “tries to offer a balanced picture on politics.”
In review, Digi24 publishes articles with minimally loaded headlines such as Romania’s designated PM Nicolae Ciucă to defuse crisis under new coalition. Nicolae Ionel Ciucă is the current PM of Romania, and he is from the center-right conservative National Liberal Party (PNL). The Digi24 website articles do not use hyperlinked sourcing as reporters write the articles and utilize quotes. Digi24 also conducts interviews with high profile guests and politicians and reports news factually such as: “Minister of Environment, Tanczos Barna, at LIVE Interviews Digi24.ro: Waste incineration requires criminal fine, imprisonment.” In general, they report the news with low bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years.
Overall, we rate Digi24 Least Biased based on neutral editorial positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 12/18/2021) Updated (05/11/2022)
Last Updated on May 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am