Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2014, Crux is a website that publishes news and commentary about the Catholic Church. Their about page says, “Crux offers the very best in smart, wired, and independent coverage of the Vatican and the Catholic Church. Crux was founded as a project of The Boston Globe in 2014, but has been fully independent since March 2016.”
Funded by / Ownership
Crux Catholic Media Inc. owns and publishes the website. Crux has received funding and support from the Knights of Columbus and generates revenue through advertising and donations.
Analysis / Bias
Crux publishes news stories related to the Catholic Church and Catholicism. The website features original reporting by staff as well as the Catholic News Service and Catholic News Agency. Articles and headlines contain moderately loaded emotional wording such as this Canada indigenous demand Church admit role in ‘genocide,’ rescind colonization edicts. Articles are usually sourced through quotes rather than hyperlinks.
Editorially, they do not have a dedicated opinion section, but they label news with opinions as “news analysis.” A review of story selection reveals they cover both sides, with some favoring the right such as this Colorado bishops protest abortion bill, saying God, not government, rules on life and some on the left Catholic school administrators back students’ call to address race issues. In general, Crux publishes factual news and provides a balance of opinions.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Crux Least Biased based on a diverse editorial perspective that covers both sides. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 03/20/2022)
Last Updated on March 20, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. Senate Gives Final Congressional Approval To $40 Billion Aid Package For Ukraineby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 10:17 pm
- Finland and Sweden Apply for NATO Membershipby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 5:59 pm
- New Twitter policy aims to pierce fog of war misinformationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 5:43 pm
- Biden To Meet Swedish, Finnish Leaders On NATO Membershipby newsfactsnetwork on May 19, 2022 at 2:24 pm
- Texas asks Supreme Court to keep state social media censorship law in effectby newsfactsnetwork on May 19, 2022 at 12:17 pm