These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Byline Times Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that usually favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and reasonable fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2018 by Peter Jukes and Stephen Colegrave, the Byline Times is a political website and newspaper published monthly in the UK. The website features the tagline “What the Papers Don’t Say.” On their about page, they state, “While the newspaper is not politically partisan, it is not neutral and stands against corruption, injustice and the erosion of truth and the rule of law. Accurate information is the lifeblood of a democracy and, although everyone is welcome to their own opinions, facts cannot be debated.”
The website is transparent as they name authors, editors, and ownership; however, they do not clearly disclose their liberal-leaning perspectives.
Funded by / Ownership
Byline Times Ltd, Company number 11658725, owns the website and newspaper. Subscription fees generate revenue for the Byline Times.
Analysis / Bias
Byline Times provides originally reported political news via the website and newspaper. Reporting is broken into the categories Fact, Argument, Reportage, and Culture. Under the Fact section, they provide evidence-based reporting using historical research, official documents, and investigation. Articles and headlines under this category often contain emotionally loaded language such as this Unaccountable Chaos: Scathing Lords Report Criticises Government COVID Response. Many news stories focus on what conservative do in a negative context Lobbyists Donated£400,000to Conservative Party in Recent Years.
Under the “Argument” section they publish op-eds that often align with the left while being critical of conservatives. For example, they tend to have a negative view of conservative Prime Minister Boris Johnson, where they have an entire section dedicated to Johnson’s cronyism BORIS JOHNSON’S CRONY CONTRACTS. While most articles favor Labour, they can also be critical such as this Labour’s Lost HeartlandsA Tale of Neglect, Decline, Rage & Revolt. On the whole, many more articles and opinions favor a liberal perspective. In general, Byline Times holds a left-leaning bias and presents information factually.
Failed Fact Checks
- There was a major increase in the number of “short” positions taken by UK hedge funds when Boris Johnson ran for Conservative leader. – False (Corrected)
Overall, we rate Byline Times Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that usually favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and reasonable fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 6/16/2021)
Last Updated on February 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am