Andorra Government Bias
World Press Freedom Rank: Andorra 52/180
In 2015 The U.S. Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network named Banca Privada d’Andorra “a Foreign Financial Institution of Primary Money Laundering Concern.” In 2021, global money laundering and terrorist financing watchdog The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) reports, “Andorra is now “compliant” with 9 of the forty FATF recommendations, “largely compliant” with 28 recommendations and “partially compliant” with three recommendations.”
The Reporters without Borders World Press Freedom Index ranks Andorra 52/180, pointing out money-laundering and tax evasion scandals and states that the “biggest media outlets receive a great deal of state advertising.” In addition to a lack of transparency between government and media.
Media Ownership and Government Analysis
Due to its geographical proximity to France and Spain, Spanish and French media outlets influence and shapes Andorra’s media landscape through “the majority of television transmissions being provided through technical accords with the Spanish and French government networks.”
The media landscape of Andorra is diverse. There are privately-owned dailies such as El Periodic d’Andorra (owned by Spanish Prensa Ibérica Media, SL) and Diari d’Andorra (owned by Premsa Andorrana SA.) Ràdio I Televisió d’Andorra, S.A. is the state-owned public television and radio broadcaster controlled and funded by the Government of Andorra.
Freedom House reports, in Andorra, “Business, political, and religious interests heavily influence media coverage. Reporting on the activities of Andorra’s banks is particularly difficult,” and “No law exists to provide public access to government information.”
In summary, the financial sector, Church, and government significantly influence the media, with a lack of transparency being a fundamental problem for media consumers.
Last Updated on May 6, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/18/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 10:15 am
- Madison Cawthorn concedes to Chuck Edwards in North Carolinaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am
- Far-right election denier Mastriano wins GOP race for governor in Pennsylvaniaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am