These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The College Fix strongly Right Biased based on story selection and editorials that consistently aligns with the conservative right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 2011, the College Fix is a conservative news blog run by the Student Free Press Association which is a nonprofit organization run by veteran journalists to help beginning journalists. The veteran journalists in this case are all conservatives. The College Fix typically writes about higher education news, but also covers politics.
Funded by / Ownership
The College Fix is owned by the Student Free Press Association, which is a nonprofit run by journalists. The website lacks transparency as they do not disclose top donors. However, a search reveals they have been funded by Koch Industries and The Bradley Foundation. Revenue is also derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The College Fix reports news on higher education as well as politics from a conservative perspective. Many articles focus on political correctness and utilizes moderate emotional language such as this: Student affairs officers have low view of students’ understanding of free speech, survey finds. The website also publishes news stories from other sources, including Inside Higher Education such as this: After sudden coronavirus evictions, universities demand students pay to get their stuff back. For the most part news articles are reasonably sourced to credible media outlets and are not overly opinionated.
Editorially, The College Fix appropriately labels opinion content. Virtually all op-eds reviewed favors conservative positions such as anti-abortion positions and negative reporting on Feminism: Guilt-first feminists accuse school dance policy of promoting ‘rape culture’. In general story selections strongly aligns with the right and is sometimes not factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- A significant and growing number of college students support “post-birth abortions,” extending to children as old as four or five. – False
- “Students at the University of Texas in Austin have been advised not to wear cowboy boots or cowboy hats on Halloween.” – False
- California State Universities Offering Segregated ‘Blacks Only’ Housing? – False
- Muslim students removed wooden pews from Wichita State University’s chapel because they lacked a place in which to kneel and pray. – False
Overall, we rate The College Fix strongly Right Biased based on story selection and editorials that consistently aligns with the conservative right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed checks. (D. Van Zandt 3/8/2017) Updated (4/8/2020)
Do you appreciate our work? Please consider one of the following ways to sustain us.