A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate MoveOn a Left Biased, Questionable Source based on promotion of propaganda and numerous failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Left Biased Propaganda, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
MoveOn is an American, non-profit, progressive public policy advocacy group and political action committee. Formed in 1998 in response to the impeachment of President Bill Clinton by the U.S. House of Representatives, MoveOn.org has raised millions of dollars for candidates it identifies as “progressives” in the United States.
MoveOn comprises two legal entities, organized under different sections of U.S. tax and election laws. MoveOn.org Civic Action is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, and was formerly called MoveOn.org. It focuses on education and advocacy on national issues. MoveOn.org Political Action is a federal political action committee, and was formerly known as MoveOn PAC. It contributes to the campaigns of many candidates across the country.
Funded by / Ownership
MoveOn is a non-profit as well as a political action committee (PAC) that is funded through donations. According to the right leaning Influence Watch, which tracks left leaning funding, MoveOn has had donors such as Open Society Policy Center ($150,000), Ploughshares Fund ($475,000), Naral Pro-Choice America Foundation ($10,000) and Hollywood personalities such as Matt Damon ($5000). A review of Open Secrets shows that in 2018, MoveOn donated $447,500 Democratic candidates and $0 to Republicans. Additional revenue is generated through an online store that sells merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
In review, MoveOn is a political advocacy organization that 100% favors Democratic candidates and liberal policies. The website features a link to start petitions that is similar to Change.org. They also have a link for campaigns they support and a list of events. Some of the campaigns listed are Impeachment, Confront gun violence and white nationalism, Win Elections and Endorse Progressive Candidates and Oppose Trump’s March to War. Lastly, the website features news that often utilizes loaded emotional language such as this: MoveOn Criticizes Sen. Coons’ Reckless Comments on Iran. In general, MoveOn supports progressive Democratic candidates such as Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.
A factual search reveals numerous failed fact checks.
- The newly proposed House Republican budget “abolishes Medicare within 10 years.” – FALSE
- Gov. Rick Scott “tried to kick 180,000 people off the voter rolls.” – FALSE
- “Every one of the 67 supervisors of elections” in Florida refused to carry out the effort to remove noncitizens from the voter rolls. – FALSE
- “(Palin) supported right-wing extremist Pat Buchanan for president in 2000.” – FALSE
- Says U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson “voted to cut $700m from Medicare.” – MOSTLY FALSE
- John McCain, “one of the richest people in a Senate filled with millionaires,” says the solution to the housing crisis is for people to get a “second job” and “skip their vacations.” – FALSE
Overall, we rate MoveOn a Left Biased, Questionable Source based on promotion of propaganda and numerous failed fact checks. (5/13/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 9/30/2019)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/13/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WSAZ News Channelby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/12/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 12, 2022 at 10:30 am