These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate China Global Television Network (CGTN) news Left-Center Biased based on mostly neutral wording that favors the left Communist Government. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of Government propaganda through bias by omission.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: China 177/180
China Global Television Network (CGTN) is China’s new international media organization, which was launched by the national broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) on December 31, 2016 and its headquarters are in Beijing.
China Global Television Network (CGTN) provides coverage of public and government affairs, world news, politics, business tech & sci culture & sports, opinions and more.
According to their about page they describe their mission as “Our mission is to create a better understanding of international events across the world, bridging continents and bringing a more balanced view to global news reporting. Ultimately, we believe facts should speak for themselves and are committed to neutral, objective reporting.”
Funded by / Ownership
CGTN is owned and operated by China Central Television (CCTV). The website does not have advertising and is funded by the Chinese government.
Analysis / Bias
Reporters without Borders has reported China as the “World’s leading prison for citizen journalists” According to reporters without borders 2019 report, China ranks 177 out of 180 countries in the World Press Freedom Index, which equates to almost zero press freedom.
According to Foreign Policy, CGTN is a part of a global $6.6 billion media expansion campaign involving TV, radio, and newspapers that started in 2009 during the presidency of Hu Jintao, Xi’s predecessor. The purpose of this is to serve as a global mouthpiece for the Chinese Communist Party.
In review, China Global Television Network (CGTN) uses neutral tone when reporting national political news such as “Yizhuang will host Beijing’s first test road for self-driving vehicles.” They typically utilize factually mixed sources such as Xinhua News Agency and further, when reporting world and USA news China Global Television Network (CGTN) utilizes minimally loaded words in their articles and they do present low biased coverage of USA news through the use of credible sources such as AFP, and Reuters. However, this does not mean they are without bias. Most articles pertaining to the Communist Government are favorable with zero criticism of President Xi Jinping. In other words, the content you find on the website is generally factual and neutral in tone, but it is the consistent bias by omission that makes CGTN a factually Mixed and propaganda source.
Overall, we rate China Global Television Network (CGTN) news Left-Center Biased based on mostly neutral wording that favors the left Communist Government. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of Government propaganda through bias by omission. (M. Huitsing 1/6/2018) Updated (9/12/2019)
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am