These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) Left-Center biased based on political positions that mostly favor liberal policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information as well as for being a resource for IFCN fact checkers.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 1913, The Anti-Defamation League is an international Jewish non-governmental organization based in the United States. Describing itself as “the nation’s premier civil rights/human relations agency,” the ADL states that it “fights anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry, defends democratic ideals and protects civil rights for all,” doing so through “information, education, legislation, and advocacy.” The ADL states their mission as “To stop the defamation of the Jewish people, and to secure justice and fair treatment to all…”
Funded by / Ownership
The Anti-Defamation League is a nonprofit that is funded through donations. They do not disclose donors.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Anti-Defamation League is an organization that advocates against bigotry and for civil rights. While the focus is on antisemitism, they cover all areas of religious, racial and ethnic hate. The website produces a blog as well as articles that utilize minimal loaded words such as this: How Facebook and Twitter Help Amplify Fringe Websites. This article is properly sourced to credible media outlets such as the BBC and The Guardian. The blog also reports news related to the ADL’s mission such as this: FBI Arrests White Supremacist Conor Climo, Who Reportedly Targeted Jews, LGBTQ Community. The ADL has a section called “Media Watch” in which they respond to media organization who report false or questionable information such as this: Letter to the New York Times Regarding Editorial on Silencing Hate Speech. Finally, the ADL publishes Op-Ed’s that appear in newspapers and media. Editorially, there is a left leaning bias and unfavorable reporting on President Donald Trump such as this: White Supremacist Terror is Rising, and Trump’s Policies Kneecap Our Ability to Fight Back.
In general, ADL reports news with low bias, however editorial content does lean left. Further, the ADL advocates for policies that are favored by the liberal left such as a two state solution for Palestine and Israel as well as supporting same sex marriage and the DREAM act.
Overall, we rate the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) Left-Center biased based on political positions that mostly favor liberal policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information as well as for being a resource for IFCN fact checkers. (D. Van Zandt 10/6/2016) Updated (8/30/2019)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/13/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WSAZ News Channelby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/12/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 12, 2022 at 10:30 am