Republished with permission by Knowhere News
The House Judiciary Committee chairman, Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), signed subpoenas on Tuesday for former FBI Director James Comey and former Attorney General Loretta Lynch to appear on Capitol Hill and provide testimony at private hearings concerning their actions during the 2016 presidential election. Comey is scheduled to testify on Dec. 3 and Lynch on Dec. 4.
Revealing he got a subpoena from House Republicans, Comey tweeted “Happy Thanksgiving” on Thursday and went on to say, “I’m still happy to sit in the light and answer all questions.” Saying he has “seen enough” of “selective leaking and distortion,” the former FBI director said he would “resist a ‘closed door’ thing.” Instead, he said, “Let’s have a hearing and invite everyone to see.”
This latest development comes after the fired FBI chief refused a request in October from the House Judiciary Committee to testify behind closed doors about alleged political bias at the Justice Department and the FBI. At the time, Goodlatte scrapped the proposal, saying the committee was still ready to use its subpoena power if Comey failed to meet the panel’s requests.
Some have depicted the subpoenas as a last-ditch effort for members of the GOP, who will soon be giving up power. Democrats, set to take over House committees in January, have planned a number of investigations into President Donald Trump’s activities that Republicans did not pursue while controlling House committees for the first two years of Trump’s term.
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black Main Streetby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WCAXby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 8:00 am