Q: Is Rep. Nancy Pelosi planning to step down amid sexual harassment allegations?
A: No. There have been no such claims made publicly against Pelosi.
A forged court document made to look like Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer had been accused of sexual harassment in 2012 was recently presented to several media outlets. Schumer has asked the Capitol Police to investigate.
Before that, a conservative operative peddled a false story to the Washington Post in an apparent effort to discredit the paper and its coverage of sexual misconduct allegationsleveled against Republican Roy Moore, who lost a special U.S. Senate election in Alabama on Dec. 12.
And a dozen questionable websites have published a story claiming that House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi will leave her post before the end of the year after five men and one woman accused her of sexual harassment. That’s not true, either.
Facebook users flagged the latter story as potentially false.
It originated on a website called Patriot Post, which describes itself as satirical, and has a disclaimer that says: “Everything on this website is fiction.” But none of the other sites that picked up the story have such a disclaimer.
No one has publicly accused Pelosi of sexual harassment, though, and the fake story gets several basic facts wrong.
For instance, it identifies Pelosi as the Senate majority leader, when she is neither a senator, nor a member of the majority party.
The made-up story also refers to quotes in the Army Times and Breitbart that were not published by either publication.
Allen, Mike. “Schumer calls cops after forged sex scandal charge.” Axios. 12 Dec 2017.
Boubord, Stewart, Davis, Aaron, and Crites, Alice. “A woman approached The Post with dramatic — and false — tale about Roy Moore. She appears to be part of undercover sting operation.” Washington Post. 27 Nov 2017.
Bradner, Eric. “Alabama election: Doug Jones scores stunning win, but Moore won’t concede.” CNN. 12 Dec 2017.
“BREAKING: Nancy Pelosi To Resign After New Revelations.” Patriot Post. 2 Dec 2017.
“Representative Nancy Pelosi.” Profile. Congress.gov. Accessed 14 Dec 2017.
Loughlin, Sean. “Democrats pick Pelosi as House leader.” CNN. 15 Nov 2002.
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 4, 2022 at 10:15 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Citizen Truthby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: American People Dailyby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 3, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black America Webby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 2, 2022 at 8:00 am