These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Canary Left biased based on story selection and editorial positions that strongly favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a failed fact check and consistent one-sided reporting that favors a progressive left perspective.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: United Kingdom
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 35/180
Founded in 2015, The Canary is a political news website based in the United Kingdom. The current editor-in-chief is Kerry-Anne Mendoza. According to their website, The Canary’s vision is “A free and fair society where we nurture people and planet.” Their mission is “we deliver campaigning journalism that informs and empowers people to change their world.” Finally, their values are “progressive, open, and rigorous. We work with respect, courage, and generosity.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Canary is the sole website run by Canary Media Limited. Canary Media Limited is solely owned by its leadership team with no outside shareholders or investors. The Leadership Team comprises of 3 Directors, 5 Editors, and an Advertising Manager. You can view the Companies House records here. They generate revenue through donations and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Canary publishes political news with the use of strong loaded language in headlines such as this: Media elites say Venezuela proves socialism doesn’t work. But their argument falls flat on its face and this Theresa May’s latest Brexit plan is so ludicrous she might as well promise unicorns sh***ing glitter. While The Canary does not hide their left-wing bias they always source their information from credible media outlets such as Forbes, BBC, The Guardian, and Huffington Post.
Editorially, The Canary favors the progressive left through support for the Labour Party, climate change concerns, income equality, and LGBT rights. The Canary has faced criticism for claiming that Israel is an apartheid state for its occupation of the West Bank. According to the Jewish Chronicle, Kerry-Anne Mendoza, the editor-in-chief had her Twitter account suspended when she compared Jewish Labour Supporters with South Africa’s Apartheid “Imagine if during a day of international solidarity with the oppressed of Apartheid South Africa the Labour leadership opted instead to spend the day with white supremacists. That’s what Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner are doing today.”
Ms. Mendoza had her account reinstated with a Twitter spokesperson stating: “The account referenced was mistakenly suspended and has now been reinstated.” The website also faced criticism for employing a writer that had previously written what the Jewish Chronicled called “Antisemitic tropes”. The author Steve Topple later apologized for his words. It should be noted that the Jewish Chronicle is a right-wing publication that strongly supports Israel and is anti-labor. In fact, they have faced lawsuits for libel and have lost on several occasions for claiming individuals are antisemitic. In general, the news reported is mostly factual with a very strong left-leaning bias, especially in support of Palestine, which some right-leaning sources have claimed is antisemitic.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate The Canary Left biased based on story selection and editorial positions that strongly favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a failed fact check and consistent one-sided reporting that favors a progressive left perspective. (D. Van Zandt 12/1/2016) Updated (01/11/2021)
Last Updated on January 11, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am