These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Brampton Guardian Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1964 by the real estate giant Bramalea Ltd, Brampton Guardian (Originally called The Bramalea Guardian) is a community newspaper that focuses on community events, people, neighborhoods, and community life, serving the City of Brampton, Ontario, Canada, and the surrounding area.
In 1966, the Brampton Guardian was sold to The Toronto Telegram. After the Telegram closed in 1971, Douglas Bassett (son of John Bassett) sold the Brampton Guardian to Inland Publishing, a subsidiary of the Telegram Corporation. In 1981, Inland Publishing was purchased by Metrospan and merged to become Metroland.
Read our profile on the Canadian government’s influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
The publisher of the Brampton Guardian is Metroland Media Group Ltd., a subsidiary of Nordstar Capital LP. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Brampton Guardian uses low biased wording when reporting local news such as this: Former Brampton Liberal MP Raj Grewal undecided on election. In an opinion and editorial pieces, there is the moderate use of loaded emotional language that favors the left, such as this: “‘Build a wall around the GTA’: Brampton councilor channels Donald Trump in campaign against pot shops “ and “Editorial: Ford can seize opportunities on carding and sex ed.”
Doug Ford is the current Premier of Ontario, which serves as the provincial prime minister. He is the head of the center-right Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario. In general, editorials do not have a favorable opinion of Doug Ford, such as this: Premier can prove his government is “for the people” — all the people.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Brampton Guardian Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 5/8/2019) Updated (04/29/2022)
Last Updated on April 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am