These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Sky News Least Biased based on balanced news coverage and a reasonably balanced op-ed page. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a reasonable fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 35/180
Founded in 1989 by Rupert Murdoch, Sky News is a British news organization, which operates a TV network of the same name, a radio news service, and distributes news through online channels. Sky News has sister outlets around the world such as Australia, Arabia and Ireland. Sky News has won numerous awards including in 2018, being named Royal Television Society News Channel of the Year, the eleventh time the channel had won the award.
Funded by / Ownership
Sky News is owned by Comcast as of November 2018 and is funded through advertising. Rupert Murdoch is no longer affiliated with Sky News UK, however, Newscorp still has a share of Sky News Australia, which reports with a right-leaning bias.
Analysis / Bias
This review covers UK website content only. Sky News reports on the UK, World, Politics, US, Ocean Rescue, Science & Tech, Business, Ents & Arts, and Offbeat. Sky News utilizes moderate to minimally loaded language in headlines and articles such as this: Climate change demos in London: Police face challenges dealing with protesters. In another article, there is the use of moderate loaded language that covers both sides, May and Corbyn highlight persecution of Christians and refugee crisis in Easter messages. This article like most on Sky News does not provide hyperlinked sourcing, but rather relies on quotes and first-person accounts. A review of the opinion page reflects mostly balanced coverage with some clearly in favor of the left.
In general, news reporting is balanced and low biased, with op-ed’s having a slight lean left. Under Rupert Murdoch, Sky News was frequently accused of having a right-wing bias, however, the left-leaning New Statesman does not agree, and concludes that Sky News is impartial.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate Sky News Least Biased based on balanced news coverage and a reasonably balanced op-ed page. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a reasonable fact check record. (5/18/2016) Update (D. Van Zandt 2/05/2020)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/13/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WSAZ News Channelby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/12/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 12, 2022 at 10:30 am