These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Washington Monthly Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor moderate Democratic positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to excellent sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 1969, the Washington Monthly is a bimonthly liberal leaning nonprofit magazine and website of politics and government. According to their about page their primary focus is on Government reform: “We don’t chase news cycles, or obsess over the endless political horse race. We care about how the government can be improved, and why it hasn’t; who’s a fraud and who isn’t; which ideas ought to be banished from the nation’s capital and which ones deserve to be championed.”
The Washington Monthly lists a Masthead, which indicates the Editor-in-Chief is Paul Glastris.
Funded by / Ownership
The Washington Monthly is funded through advertising, subscription fees and donations. They receive donations from individual donors as well as large corporations and foundations. On their about page they clearly list their tops donors as follows:
- Stephen M. Silberstein Foundation
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- California Healthcare Foundation
- Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
- Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
- The Kresge Foundation
- Lumina Foundation
- NIHCM Foundation
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- The Robin Hood Foundation
- Rockefeller Brothers Fund
- The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Washington Monthly publishes news and commentary regarding Washington DC politics. Story selection often favors the left and utilizes moderately emotional language such as this: Trump Won’t Buck His Base to Address Gun Violence. This story is appropriately sourced to the New York Times. In another article, The Electoral College Is Not What Its Defenders Say It Is, they advocate for the left leaning position of replacing the electoral college with a popular vote. This article is properly sourced as well to numerous credible media and information outlets.
Editorially, the Washington Monthly clearly favors Democratic party positions, however they tend to report with caution when covering the more progressive wing of the party: What Sanders and Warren Get Wrong on Free College. In general, they generally hold mostly left-center positions and report information factually and backed with evidence.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate the Washington Monthly Left-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor moderate Democratic positions. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to excellent sourcing and a clean fact check record. (5/15/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 09/07/2019)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/07/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 7, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Cosmos Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 7, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Indexmundiby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 6, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Worldhealth.netby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 5, 2022 at 8:00 am