Republished with permission by Knowhere News
Democratic Congressional leaders blasted President Donald Trump Wednesday after he said Germany was a “captive” of Russia due to the latter’s energy dominance, saying the president’s comments at a NATO meeting were an “embarrassment.”
“President Trump’s brazen insults and denigration of one of America’s most steadfast allies, Germany, is an embarrassment,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-NY) said in a joint statement. “His behavior this morning is another profoundly disturbing signal that the president is more loyal to [Russian] President [Vladimir] Putin than to our NATO allies.”
Trump is scheduled to meet with Putin in Helsinki on July 16. Ahead of his trip to Europe, Trump said his meeting with Putin “may be the easiest” of the visit.
Democrats in Congress have been pressing Trump to confront Putin on the Kremlin’s interference in the 2016 presidential election. Trump has continued to defer to Putin’s denials of such activity.
“If the President leaves the Putin meeting without ironclad assurances and concrete steps toward a full cessation of Russian attacks on our democracy, this meeting will not only be a failure — it will be a grave step backward for the future of the international order and global security,” Schumer and Pelosi said.
“Morning Joe” host Joe Scarborough also said Trump is carrying out “Putin’s deepest wish” and is helping to expand the Kremlin’s sphere of influence with comments critical of NATO.
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am