These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Turning Point USA, far Right Biased based on story selection that always favors conservatives. We also rate them borderline Questionable based on four verified failed fact checks. A fifth failed fact check will remove them from the Right-Mixed category and into the Questionable category.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Turning Point USA is an American conservative or right wing 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded on June 5, 2012 by Wheeling, Illinois high school graduate Charlie Kirk. The organization states its mission is to “identify, educate, train, and organize students to promote fiscal responsibility, free markets and limited government.” Turning Point USA is noted for its Professor Watchlist, which lists college professors it alleges “discriminate against conservative students and advance leftist propaganda in the classroom.”
Funded by / Ownership
Turning Point USA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Turning Point USA receives considerable funding from multiple conservative groups and organizations. According to Poynter Institute “Turning Point USA, which is a de facto super PAC for conservatives’ student government campaigns.” TPUSA also has connections to the Heartland Institute, which is a known source for dubious science concerning climate change.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the website does not publish news. It simply provides information about the organization and their policy stances, which are always right leaning. Although they do not publish news on their website, they do make political claims through social media and in the media. They also have a separate website that publishes right wing biased news that is generally well sourced and uses minimal loaded words, but story selection always favors the right.
A factual search reveals many failed fact checks by IFCN fact checkers. See list below.
- Says U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi said, “Employers cutting hours is a good thing. It then gives that person time to pursue their dreams and passions.” – FALSE
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg Taken Way Out of Context – OUT OF CONTEXT
- Did Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Say it Was ‘Wrong’ for Billionaires to Exist? – MOSTLY FALSE
- Bogus Biden Quote Circulates Again – FALSE
Overall, we rate Turning Point USA, far Right Biased based on story selection that always favors conservatives. We also rate them borderline Questionable based on four verified failed fact checks. A fifth failed fact check will remove them from the Right-Mixed category and into the Questionable category. (D. Van Zandt 9/17/2017) Updated (2/06/2019)