Reasoning: Propaganda, Conspiracy, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2016, The National Pulse is a Washington-based political news and news media publication. The National Pulse promotes a conservative line on various issues such as Planned Parenthood, LGBT, and Common Core. The National Pulse is also affiliated with the questionable American Principles Project, which advocates for immigration reform, banning abortions, and denying LGBTQ equal rights.
Funded by / Ownership
The National Pulse is owned by The American Principles Project (APP), which is a 501(c)(3) think tank founded in 2009 by Robert George, Jeff Bell, and Frank Cannon. APP promotes a combination of libertarian and socially conservative policies. The Southern Poverty Law Center has accused American Principles Project of promoting conspiracies but has not formally labeled them a hate group. Advertising, donation, and an APP generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The National Pulse’s reporting regarding politics uses strong, emotionally loaded words, such as in this article “LGBT Activists Spending Big to Elect Transgender Candidate in Virginia.” They also only cover one side of the story that favors their conservative causes. Although they source their articles, they are typically from far-right sources with poor track records with fact-checkers.
Editorially, they promote conservative policies such as anti-immigration, anti-abortion, and anti-gay marriage positions. They also frequently rail against Planned Parenthood, such as this 10 Disturbing Facts from Planned Parenthood’s (Late) Annual Report. Finally, The National Post occasionally promotes conspiracy theories such as this: EXCLUSIVE: CCP-Linked Firm Targets U.S. Schoolkids With Chinese ‘Morality and Values,’ Shows CCP Military Parades in Schools. While elements of this article are true, the author claims, “In light of coronavirus, virtual learning is the only remaining avenue for the CCP to turn American school children into 21st century little red guards”, which is not supported by evidence. In this case, the author creates a conspiracy theory.
News and commentary generally contain extreme right perspectives that occasionally promote conspiracy theories, while the parent organization has made false claims.
Failed Fact Checks
- Does the Black Lives Matter website for ‘Defund The Police’ donations go to ActBlue, the ‘Biden For President’ campaign’s top source of donations? – False
- Ford Motor Co. has donated millions of dollars to groups and initiatives that support defunding or abolishing police forces. – False
- Fabricated genetic sequences used to support the hypothesis that the virus arose naturally – False
- Researchers from the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) “assembled monkeypox strains” – Inaccurate
- “Countries with high levels of mask compliance did not perform better than those with low mask usage”; “Mask Mandates [are] Associated With Increased Covid Death Rate” – Inaccurate
Overall, we rate The National Pulse Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracy theories, affiliation with a known questionable group, and several failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 8/21/2017) Updated (06/12/2022)
Last Updated on June 12, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am