These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate ScoopWhoop Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency and a failed fact check.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: India 142/180
Founded in 2013, ScoopWhoop is an internet media and news company from India. According to their about page, “ScoopWhoop Media is an Internet media company that reaches out to over 30 million Indians every month. It runs three different publications, ScoopWhoop, Scoopwhoop Hindi, Ok Tested, Scoopwhoop Unscripted, and Vagabomb.”
Funded by / Ownership
ScoopWhoop is a privately held company that has had investors such as US$4 million from the venture capital firm Kalaari Capital. Revenue is derived primarily through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The website creates and curates India specific stories. Scoopwhoop features many stories on social issues with little focus on USA news unless it’s viral, similar to Buzzfeed. The articles about the USA tend to link to credible sources such as Reuters, however, the stories are often misleading due to the use of emotional words or outright false claims. For example, in an article titled “Russia Vows ‘Adequate Response’ After US Expels 35 Russian Diplomats For ‘Spying’,” Scoopwhoop claims in a quote, that according to the BBC, Russia will “cause the US government ‘significant destruction’“. This simply is not true as Putin never said this and the BBC never reported it. Further, according to Logically ScoopWhoop was one of 17 media outlets in India agreed to push polarising stories for money. In general, there is a left-leaning editorial bias, and the news is not always reported factually.
Failed Fact Checks
- A Spanish fisherman survived in a whale’s belly for three days before being “flushed out” alive. – False
Overall, we rate ScoopWhoop Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency and a failed fact check. (M. Allen 1/6/2017) Updated (1/29/2021)
Last Updated on January 29, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am